Full-time Field Technician for Airborne Geophysical Surveys (Australia)
SkyTEM is seeking an eager-to-travel field worker to operate equipment conducting geophysical surveys of the subsurface from a helicopter platform. The SkyTEM office and place of employment is in Malaga, Perth, with projects mainly taking place in Australia, but also possibly worldwide. Work is typically in-field, project based for a number of weeks of at a time, with time in the workshop or on leave when not engaged in the field. The average work time will correspond to a full-time job of 38 hours per week, averaged over 12 months. In 2018 SkyTEM has worked on all seven continents, so the work conditions in the field vary.
There is no specific educational background requirement, but the candidate must have excellent technical knowledge. The employee will undergo internal training to acquire the specific technical skills to do the job, which include being able to:
- Undertake logistical reconnaissance and selection of landing locations in the field
- Communicating instructions to the helicopter pilot regarding survey parameters
- Assembling the SkyTEM system and operating the instruments correctly as per training and standard operating procedures
- Undertake testing and accurately recording results prior to data collection
- Master the operation of the SkyTEM system and troubleshoot faults according to instruction manuals or in direct contact with a remote technician
- Undertake field quality control of collected data in proprietary software
- Understand, adhere to and implement SkyTEM’s HSE system
- Have strong IT competencies at a level above an ordinary PC user.
- As a minimum the employee must master English in writing and speaking at an average level – other languages such as French, Spanish or Portuguese will be an advantage
- Be well-organised and service-oriented
- Have interpersonal skills and a constructive and proactive approach to troubleshooting
- Be able to work under relatively harsh conditions and in isolated areas
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical
- Have a valid driver’s license, preferably HR class
- Have a valid passport and be willing to travel
- Conduct yourself in a manner which enhances the reputation of SkyTEM and yourself
- Conduct and manage surveys in the field according to procedures and schedule
- Update job specific HSE plans, risk assessments and other security-related procedures
- Daily reporting to Project and Field Manager regarding progress and data quality
- Coordinate and cooperate with external partners, including helicopter pilot, local authorities, landowners and client representatives
- Participate in debriefing, safety and other meetings at the headquarters
- In periods with no on-going field operations, participate in various odd jobs in the workshop or at the office
Key Performance Indicators
- Operate with no incidents
- Operate with no LTI’s
- Identification and elimination of hazards in the workplace
- Actively work to improve safety performance.
- Obey all lawful instructions
- Productive interaction, contributions and co-operation as a member of specific project teams and geophysics teams.
How to apply
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 31 May 2019.